This is the best homemade mayo I have ever made
and I have played around with a lot of different recipes but this one is by far my favorite!
I don’t like store bought mayo as the chemicals in it are just too much for me, and with the amount of mayo I eat i’m sure I would end up glowing in the dark eventually.
The fresh lemon, the touch of mustard and the honey make this mayo so versatile as you can add more or less of each ingredients for richer, milder or tangier mayo.
This mayo can also be easily altered for specific recipes like grilled fish, tacos , fritters etc… by adding chillis, coriander, extra lemon or sriracha sauce.
Don’t use bottled lemon as it will make the mayo taste funny and remember fresh eggs are a must when using them raw in a recipe.
Remember when making this mayo it’s a slow process when adding the first bit of oil so take it easy and remember adding the oil drop by drop is the trick.
Play around with the recipe until you find your “Best Homemade Mayo Ever recipe”
- 1 large egg yolk (room temp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 3/4 olive oil or avocado
- 1/2 tbs of honey (add to taste)
- Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in blender and blend for about 30 seconds until bright yellow
- VERY slowly start to drizzle in the oil until the mixture starts to look like mayonnaise.
- Then a slow steady stream of oil can be added until it forms a creamy mayo
- when it is the consistency you like add the honey and blend for a few more minutes
- Have patience it takes a while to become creamy
- chill for half hour before using
- * I use about a tbs of honey in mine
Recipe Credit: jennifer rice