Chilli And Coriander Corn Fritters
These tasty chilli corn fritters are so good and super easy !
I tend to find most Fritters a bit bland for my taste buds although the fact that I carry a bottle of hot sauce with me everywhere I go could explain why things are bland for me.
When I moved to new Zealand a million years ago from Canada I had really only eaten corn on the cob in the summer boiled or on the bbq with butter and salt, that was pretty much the extent of my corn eating.
In New Zealand however they do a lot with corn that i’d never even considered, the famous ‘corn toastie” (toasted corn sandwich) is a fav among the Kiwis followed closely by the corn fritter.
you can go into a fish and chip store and order 2 piece of fish 1 scoop of chips 2 corn fritters and a corn toastie! it all comes wrapped in paper and it is amazing !
So as for my corn fritters they are based on the original but have a bit more of a kick, if you want the basic ones for the kids take out the chilli and the coriander and you are good to go.
my favorite dip with these corn fritters is a basic spicy mayo, my husband however is an old school kiwi and uses ketchup much to my dismay (he will literally put ketchup on anything). I have finally converted him to homemade ketchup but if he sees “watties” anywhere within arms reach the homemade is quickly forgotten !
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 zucchini grated (pat with paper towel to absorb excess water)
- 1 fresh red chili finely chopped
- ½ cup flour (I use chickpea flour)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped or 1 tsp lemongrass paste
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder handful of coriander chopped
- coconut oil
- In a bowl combine the flour, corn, coriander, ginger, chilli, lemongrass, baking powder, coconut milk, egg, and zucchini
- Mix well
- Heat a frypan to high heat and add a bit of the coconut oil
- scoop out a large tbs of the mixture for 1 fritter into the frypan
- flatten the fritter gently with spatula
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through
- Remove and repeat until all fritters are cooked
- * squeeze some fresh lemon just before serving for some added flavor
Recipe Credit: jennifer rice