Low And Slow Crockpot BBQ Shredded Venison
So i’m not a big meat eater but when it comes to wild game by local hunters i never say no .Venison can be a tricky meat to cook as it can go tough very quickly. I always stick to the “low and slow” cooking method. This is a basic recipe I use for any wild meat that comes through my door as it’s easy and amazing cold, it’s also perfect for picnics and bbqs guaranteed to become a family fav
- 3 - 4 pound boneless venison roast cut in half
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup (paleo homemade ketchup) http://sugarsoil.com/index.php/2016/03/21/paleo-condiments-scratch/
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- place venison in slow cooker
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients
- cover venison completely with sauce
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (turning it every few hours) or high for 5 hours
- Shred meat, using two forks
- The ketchup can easily be replaced by a homemade bbq sauce.
- Adding hot sauce to the sauce while cooking gives it that extra kick.
- Serving on kaiser buns for the non paleo is always a hit.
Recipe Credit: Jennifer Rice