Perfect Coriander,Lime & Black Bean Rice
Such a great summertime dish !
This black bean lime rice can be used as a side salad or as a main dish, however you choose to serve it you will have a hit recipe.
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
- 3 minced garlic cloves,
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained and rinsed,
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- 1 cup lightly cooked sweet corn
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- In a skillet add broth, uncooked rice, salt and garlic
- Bring to boil and mix everything well.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover the skillet with the lid and Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from heat and mix in 1 tablespoon of lime juice, red peppers, black beans, corn and fresh cilantro into the rice.
*add more lime juice if needed
*serve with fresh lemon or lime wedges
Benefits Of Black Beans
Did you know….that one-half cup of raw protein rich and nutrient dense black beans contain about 300 calories, providing about 19 grams of protein, 14 grams of fiber, 58 grams carbs and 0 grams of cholesterol.
Black Beans are an excellent source of protein, iron, thiamin, folate, magnesium, selenium, potassium, zinc and quercetin (which is an antioxidant).
Some possible health perks from eating black beans are lowered blood pressure, lowered cholesterol (due to the fiber), and lower blood glucose levels for diabetics (due to the protein and fiber). Black Beans are also important for overall digestive health support – for the colon in particular (due to the fiber), and the nutrients in black beans support heart health due to the variety of phytonutrients (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory components). These same antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients contained in black beans also work towards preventing certain types of cancer.
Read more on black beans here