Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Annatto
This is such a killer recipe it has so many great flavors and colors , serve with lime cilantro rice and you pretty much have the perfect meal !
The spices in this recipe are so amazing together I honestly must have taken 30 pictures, the colours and the flavors are outstanding .
Although it may seem ordinary and simple, a whole roasted chicken can be the perfect recipe for your family gatherings. For this recipe, I paired some vibrant colored smokey paprika, chile powder, fresh chilli, parsley and fresh lemon.
Juice and zest of large lemon
1 tablespoon annatto powder (Paprika subs well!)
2 teaspoons chile ancho powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle powder
2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
Fresh cracked pepper
5 to 7 pound roaster chicken
Tips~ If you cannot find annatto powder, you can combine 1/2
tablespoon of annatto seeds with the olive oil and cook on low for 5
minutes. Let cool, strain and add to the recipe as directed.
1. In a bowl combine the lemon juice, zest, annatto powder, chili ancho powder, paprika, garlic, parsley and olive oil. Mix to make a paste, set aside.
2. Clean out the chicken. Carefully pull the skin up on chicken as much as you can without removing and season with salt.place half a lemon into cavity.
3.Rub chicken with the lemon paprika paste until completely covered.cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight if you have the time.
3. Take out of fridge and leave out for 20 min before putting in oven, Preheat oven to 425ºF
4. Place chicken on roasting pan. Add 2 tbs water to bottom of pan, and place chicken in oven, Reducing temperature to 375ºF.
5. Roast for 1 hour uncovered. After an hour you can begin basting the chicken from juices in bottom of the pan every 15 min until cooked.
6. Remove from oven and let sit for 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish with extra lemon slices and parsley.
* The drumsticks tend to cook faster so, you can wrap or cover with a little foil paper as it finishes roasting.
*The chicken is done when the internal temperature reads 165 degrees in the deepest part of the leg
(Roast for 20 minutes per 450g (1lb), plus 20 minutes in total. A 1.8kg (4lb) chicken will take 1 hour 40 minutes to cook. Baste the chicken 2-3 times with the cooking juices whilst it roasts and cover with foil as soon as it is golden brown.