Crave-able Cranberry Orange Bread
I am trying to be good, I really am. My new years resolution is attempting to cut out sweets. No more trips into the candy store to buy boxes of fudge and truffles. I am not even allowed to look at gummy worms or candy corn and poor Little Debbie has become my nemesis. Consequently, I am very sad about it.
I did give myself a loophole, of course. I decided that really it was processed sweets that I needed to stay away from. Anything I can buy premade is strictly off limits. In hindsight, I think I may have believed that I would never put enough effort into making treats for myself. And the lie detector determined that was a lie.
Don’t shun me yet, I haven’t fallen back to making chocolate cakes and cream cheese brownies, yet. Seems like I am in the early stages of withdrawal. Currently, I am perfectly sustained by a slice of sweet bread.
First, I started strong with zucchini bread. Next, I graduated to banana. While I haven’t perfected either of those, Cranberry orange bread however, I finally got down to a science.
My lovely addictive personality has me churning one of these loaves out every week. I am not embarrassed. Cranberries and oranges are both fruit so it can’t be that bad for me, right?
Fine, I will admit that the plan backfired. Now, instead of a handful of little candies or chocolates, I sit down at night and consume a loaf of bread. Nailed it.
I refuse to believe that cranberry orange bread is really that bad for me. I ride horses, I need the carbs. Plus I am making it at home. That counts for something! I use organic sugar, gluten-free flour, and cage free eggs. And at least I am supporting local farmers with my nonsense, right?
If you can’t tell, this bread is delicious. I eat it for breakfast with butter and jam, at lunch because I can, and after dinner because I deserve nice things too.
See for yourself. If you are able to share, which I am not, family and friends will be really impressed at least.
- 2 cups AP flour, can be GF
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in orange zest, cranberries, and pecans (if desired). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Beat in flour mixture until just moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the bread springs back when lightly touched.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Wrap in plastic when completely cool.