Heartwarming Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup
I know you all have been wondering where I could have gone off to over the last week. Well, I have become an incubus of mucus and death. Yes, my invincible self has contracted the life stopping flu. Death becomes me.
I have spent the last seven days wallowing in a bed of dirty tissues, eating my weight in Fig Newtons, and watching bad television. A cure all, don’t you think?
Luckily, my wonderful saint of a husband was sweet enough to make me a batch of my chicken noodle soup since I was unable to do it for myself.
He even made homemade stock. What a hunk.
And low and behold, with each bite of this miracle soup that I was so sweetly spoon fed, my body began to come back to life.
I could finally breathe. I was actually able to get up long enough to finish my online Christmas shopping.
Okay, I will admit that the soup isn’t magic. But it definitely helps with a cold. Did you know that science actually backs chicken noodle soup as a way to treat colds?
According to healthcare provider UPMC, “the ingredients in the soup slows white blood cells from gathering in the lungs, therefore slowing the progress of irritating side effects, like coughing, sneezing, and a stuffy, runny nose. In addition to the nutrients from the vegetables and other ingredients, chicken soup also helps you stay hydrated – which is crucial when you’re feeling under the weather.”
See, there’s no arguing with science that works. Chicken noodle soup really is good for the soul and the cold.
Now you are free to go forth and conquer whatever ailments this season brings to you. And I am able to go back to avoiding wrapping all my last minute Christmas presents.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 pound chopped boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 32oz cartons of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bayleaf
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 dashes poultry seasoning
- 3 cups egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in large stock pot
- Add garlic, celery, onion, and carrot to the butter and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add uncooked chicken, broth, and spices to the vegetables
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to package instructions in a separate pot
- Add drained noodles to chicken and veggies and simmer an additional 10 minutes