Mixed Bean Vegan Stew
I absolutely love creating delicious healthy winter meals I live in New Zealand winter is on its way, this stew is so simple and it tastes incredible.
All you need to do is put everything into a pot and let the magic happen!!!!
This vegan stew is so easy to prepare and can be stored in the freezer and defrosted anytime that you can’t be bothered or are short on time .
With this dish being vegan the main protein source is from the beans which i believe are one of the best sources of plant based protein around. Beans are super healthy and extremely versatile, high in antioxidants, protein, fibre, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and zinc.
Eating beans regularly can decrease your risk of developing diabetes and heart disease which is proof that the food we eat is the best medicine and can help in reversing health related issues.
I hope that this recipe appeals to you and that it becomes a regular meal in your household
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- fresh coriander to serve
- 3 carrots chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 courgettes (zucchini)chopped
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 2 tins of mixed beans drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large pot and then add in the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until softened.
- Add in the garlic, spices, dried thyme, celery, carrots and peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, courgettes and the stock and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Pour in the beans and bring the heat up to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with coriander on top and on rice, quinoa or vegetable mash.
- Eat and enjoy!!!!
- This stew will last up to one week when kept in the fridge and can be kept in the freezer for as long as wanted but only defrosted once to keep the maximum amount of flavour.
Recipe Credit: Mia