This is ridiculously good and I don’t even like dates!
- 3/4 Cup Dates, pitted
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar or Honey
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 Coconut flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
CARAMEL PECAN SAUCE
- 1 Tbsp Grass fed butter
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Pecans
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Add baking powder, dates and 1 Cup of boiling water to a bowl to soak for 15 minutes
- Using a handheld mixer or a really strong arm whisk combining the butter and the honey or sugar until it resembles a thick sauce/ paste (this is called creaming the butter)- should take 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the paste one at a time, waiting for each to combine before adding the next
- In a large bowl combine the flour, almond meal, salt and allspice
- Fold the egg mix into the dry ingredients and finish of with the lemon juice
- Grease medium muffin trays with extra coconut oil or butter, spoon mix in and pop in the oven for 15-18 minutes (should be still slightly soft in the centre)
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat cook the honey and butter until it starts to bubble and change a golden color, then add the coconut milk, take off the heat and continue to stir until smooth. Add in the pecans and spoon over date cakes to finish… goes amazing with coconut milk ice cream too… just saying 😉
Recipe By;Daniel Churchill
Young Northern Beaches surfer boy Daniel Churchill became known to Australia after appearing on series 5 of Masterchef in 2013. He is passionate about inspiring a healthy, active lifestyle and is the author of two cook books, ‘Dudefood’ and ‘The Healthy Cook’. His number one rule is all food must be delicious and he wants to motivate and inspire people to see how cooking healthy is just that…delicious.